Friday 5 October 2012

Cheers to the Man Behind the Pint!

In case I forgot to mention this...I am VERY behind on my blogging. Therefore Arthur's day (named after Arthur Guinness, the man that founded Guinness) was actually September 27, not the posting day, October 5th. 

We both had class on Arthur's day, so here are some pictures from lunch to walking to class!




On a side note, on campus while walking to class today, Jason and I saw a fox, yes you read that right. a FOX by some bicycle racks looking rather skimpy and hungry by the food science building. We were very taken aback, and so was the Irish girl that happened upon it after us. Naturally we all pulled out our iPhones and took pictures of the poor bastard. It looked a little too hungry for us to stay longer than we had to.... 



Arthur's Day fell on a Thursday this year, and of course we all went out to celebrate. The "To Arthur" cheer was at 5:59 PM, chosen because the year was 1559. However, due to a poor sense of direction, everyone in our group missed it. We did pass by a few pubs on the way to the meeting place, An Brog, but did not hear anything significant at 5:59PM. We ended up meeting outside the post office instead on Oliver Plunkett Street, where we headed to Melina and Andrew's apartment to chat and wait for Alex until the bands started playing at local pubs. 

Typically at the pubs here, local bands come to play on various days around 10pm or later. For Arthur's Day, however, many pubs participated in a surprise guest band, where no one will know who is performing where until the night of Arthur's Day. We ended up going to Crane Lane, a quaint cozy pub in the city centre, but could not get in to see the guest performer, whom we later found out to be Ellie Goulding! I am soo incredibly sad that I was only one wooden door from Ellie Goulding! :( :( :( At the wine bar, they had a fancy automated wine dispenser that you is touchscreen. All you have to do is insert your wine card (purchased at the bar) and choose the drink! However the minimum amount to put on the card was 20 euro, and since I wasn't too educated on wines, I decided to save wine tasting for another occasion. 



I did get some lovely bruschetta instead of wine, which was absolutely delicious!





We did end up at The Oliver Plunkett (the pub this time, which is located on Oliver Plunkett street, coincidentally) where we heard some local bands perform. After sitting downstairs for the first performance, Melina and I discovered that the upstairs was much less crowded with a dance floor as well. We then moved to hear the band upstairs, which turned out to be a great idea. Many of the younger crowd, approximately around my age, started some folk dances/swing dancing, which was great fun. We did a train throughout the entire upstairs and danced for quite some while before retiring for the night. It was definitely one of the best cultural experiences in my life, one that I will hopefully remember for a very long time.




All in all, I quite enjoyed Arthur's Day. I of course had a pint of Guinness and then had a Smithwick, a red ale that tasted in between a light and dark beer. I liked the taste of it. However, I don't think I remembered to take a picture of it... :( More adventures to come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment